Most potential customers will not pay attention to your company until they have been repeatedly exposed to your product or service. In fact, it typically takes between seven and ten impressions before an individual decides to buy a product or service, becoming a customer. A multi-touch marketing approach uses this principle to breed familiarity, making sales more likely.
As more and more information becomes easily available to everyone, prospective customers are becoming more comfortable with researching prior to a purchase. In fact, by the time they actually pick up the phone, they are probably ready to buy. In order to become a part of their buying cycle, you need to stay in front of them with regular impressions. Depending on a single direct mail piece to cause a prospect to purchase rarely works. After they put down the envelope, your company becomes essentially invisible.
The multi-touch approach has several benefits:
- You can better define who you are as a company.
- You can better elucidate what problems you solve for your customers.
- You can better communicate reasons they ought to reach out to you.
Multiple impressions doesn’t mean just a bunch more direct mail pieces. In fact, it’s a good idea to vary your message, combining email or phone call follow-up with the mailings. For example:
- Spread out several direct mailing pieces over time. This will allow your target customer to get to know your company. Modify each mailing to keep the campaign interesting – add something new about your company each time.
- Follow your direct mail piece with a call to action via email or telephone. Make the response “worth it” – give them something like a free consultation or a discount on services.
- Continue following up with existing customers to keep them close. Send postcard reminders or updates after a sale or appointment.
- Consider using direct mail pieces as a follow-up to a sales call.
Need a hand implementing multi-touch marketing? We know how to utilize the planning and consistency to make it succeed. Contact us today!